So you've stuffed your face with all the sweet mince pies, Quality Streets and mulled wine over the Christmas and now you are left with the guilt. New Year tends to be the time people make resolutions to get fit, eat healthier and join the gym. I always find it a real struggle getting back into a routine after having so much time off to eat and chill. But for today's post I wanted to share with you all some simple ways to motivate yourself to keep fit and healthy.
1. New Year, New Gear - What better excuse is their to shop than to tell yourself you need to buy some new gear in order to gain the motivation to workout. With the January sales on now is the perfect time to pick up some bargains. Missguided have lots of sales on including their fitness range. I think having a new outfit can really motivate you to go to the gym and show it off!
2. Create A Playlist - Did you receive a lot of new albums on Christmas Day? Well that's the perfect excuse to get them on your ITunes and create a workout playlist. Listening to music is a great way for keeping active in New Year. It is also a good way to just zone out and focus purely on the workout.
3. Be Realistic - Some people stress and worry so much about getting fit they don't know where to begin or how many days to go. It is always handy to write down a simple routine and it could be as simple as: Monday - 10 minute on treadmill, 3 sets on leg press, 30 squats etc. Maybe even Youtube some at home or gym workouts for beginners, just give yourself a bit of a day-to-day structure.
4. Find A Buddy - I do think having a workout buddy helps keep you motivated and are great to have for spotting if you go to the gym. If you are joining the gym or wanting to attend some classes, having a partner with you could make the whole experience a lot more entertaining. I go with my boyfriend to the gym and it tends to fly over a lot faster and he helps motivate me when I'm not feeling up to it.
5. Have An Aim - Don't just get active because it's New Year and everybody else has, do it because you want to and give yourself a reason why. Everybody has different reasons mine is to tone up and just feel healthier about myself. If you are wanting to keep active write a post it note on your wardrobe and remind yourself why you are keeping fit, it may just be that little light switch in your brain to get you motivated.
6.) Think of the outcomes - Some people have images on their phones or walls on what they want to look like, some have that dress they love in a smaller size their aim to fit into it and others write or even think about what their reasons are for to get active. When you are lost and feeling unmotivated take a step back and think about why you joined the gym or are wanting to keep fit in the first place and what you want to look like.
What are your tips on staying active this New Year??